Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Master of the Universe

Here is a great video which can help put you in the right frame of mind for the upcoming Yom Kippur.
Admittedly, it really would be more appropriate for and in the spirit of Rosh Hashana when we crown/acknowledge Hashem as King of the World. However, the underlying message is still really powerful and can help focus you for your tfillot.



One more thing which comes to mind, when seeing some of the scenes in the video though, is how amazing this world that Hashem created is.
It's great that we were created in such a way to appreciate the beauty and grace in such "little" things as a sunset or even a spider sitting on its web. I know evolutionists have theories how every little thing can be explained by natural selection but I find some of it to be a bit far fetched. I mean, how does a genetic mutation to allow us to enjoy the sight of a field of sunflowers help someone survive better?

Along similar lines, when I was taking physics in college, we were learning about calculating the pressure of liquid in a tube and the force when the tube branches. The professor explained that apparently the most efficient angle for such a split to get the most flow in a branching tube is something like 77a degrees.
The professor then went on to say that they did some study of all the branches in the veins in a persons body and the average angle for all the branches was.... (wait for it....) 77b degrees.
When I heard this, I, of course, was struck by how perfect Hashem made our bodies.
The professor then concluded this whole thing by saying: "You can see the power of evolution at work."




a - Under the heading of Honesty in reporting, I should point out that since this happened a few years ago and I don't remember all the details, I just made the number 77 up. Please don't let that detract from the story which I am guessing is still relevant whatever the number actual number was.
b - The same caveat would apply to this number 77 as well - though at least I am consistent when I make numbers up.

4 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

Beautiful post!

Have an easy fast and a gmar chatimah tovah.

yt said...

Thanks.

You too.

Anonymous said...

Yes, most appropriate for the High Holy Days. Alas I only saw it now.

Of course, I suppose these feelings and understanding should really be all year round.

yt said...

Indeed they should be.